TurboNurse

I'm a new nurse starting my fist job in a level 3 NICU and am scared out of my mind! I also lead a very active life. I run, do triathlons, cycle, swim, and just recently added Tae Kwon Do to my arsenal of fun things to do.

I may end up going to nights sooner than expected.  I was told this on Tuesday when my classes started.  I'm kind of bummed by it and also very scared.  I'm really wondering how I will handle it and for a while even had a bad attitude toward it.

That got straightened out sort of.  Last night we had to take our oldest cat to the vet because he was acting really odd and showing us he was in pain.  I first noticed the pain about 6:30 that night.  My husband got home so I left for tae kwon do thinking he was going to be OK.  When I got home from class he looked good.  Then we go to lay down for the night and he jumps up on me which is part of our normal routine and the poor little guy almost misses and then he stopped right when he got up and just growled which is not like him at all!  Needless to say that really freaked me out so we took him to the vet ER at about 10:30 last night and got home about 12:30 or so this morning.

He stayed overnight for observation.  The doc thought he may have had a blockage in his urethra so we felt it was better safe than sorry and let him do an overnight.  From what I hear, he was not a happy camper.  The doc described him as growly.  Apparently it got so bad that they had to give him a dose of diazepam (Valium) to help him calm down.  After that, the doc said that he did urinate (yay!) and he also ate and drank for them.

I picked him up this morning and I could see that he was tired.  They sent him home with pain meds and gave him a dose before I got there.  He's not super sleepy but he's not up walking around and playing with his "sister" like normal.

I made a follow up with his regular vet on Monday.  Until then, we're just going to watch him.

So how does this realte to the night thing?  Well I was up until about 1am this morning and just being up like that gave me a little confidence that I can do this.  I would like to try.

I am so nervous/scared though.  I've worked 2nd shift before and I did't deal with it well at all and it put me into a depression.  Granted that was in a completely different stage of my life but it still had quite an effect on me. 

I just want to make sure that when I go to nights that I go in with a good attitude and take care of myself just as I do working days.  I plan on still biking, going to the gym, doing my tae kwon do and all that.  I'm hoping to add running back into the mix as well.  With all the stuff going on with the cat, I've had to put off my own doctors visit.  I'm still trying to get in on Tuesday though.

I just feel like I've been bounced all around during my orientation.  It makes me feel like the left handed red headed stepchild in a way and I don't like it.

I LOVE my preceptor now.  She's really awesome and I've learned a lot from her already.

I just don't know. 

There is so much going on right now that my brain just can't quite keep it straight.  Once I get settled into orientation, I start these classes and then I find out I may go to nights two weeks sooner than planned and on top of that we are planning a family.

These are all exciting and for the most part, good changes, it's just a lot at one time.

I've signed up to go to a tae kwon do tournament in Odessa TX on July 31.  I'm very excited for that as well.  I did some sparring in class last night and got some compliments on it from a teammate which really means a lot to me.  It also helps that I was sparing someone closer to my size instead of trying to spar someone who is twice my size and a lot taller than I am.  I was only able to do one round instead of two because of my ankle.

I made sure to stop at the first sign of pain because I really don't want to mess it up before the tournament.  This will be my first time sparring in a tournament and I'm very excited for it and would hate to have to sit out of it because I did something dumb in the meantime.  I will also be competing in patterns.  I'm working on my green belt pattern now.  It's called Do-San.  I am not planning on competing with this pattern but I still want to start working on it.

Needless to say I called off work today.  I didn't feel I would be safe on only 4 hours sleep, especially when we are going up in acuity.  I feel terrible for calling off but I feel it was the best choice to make.  I will be at work tomorrow.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Followers

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Labels