TurboNurse

I'm a new nurse starting my fist job in a level 3 NICU and am scared out of my mind! I also lead a very active life. I run, do triathlons, cycle, swim, and just recently added Tae Kwon Do to my arsenal of fun things to do.

Just an update since I haven't been here in quite a while.

This last week was filled with ups and downs.  It started off with the unit educator calling me into her office to have a 'talk'.  So I go in after I eat lunch and she proceeds to tell me that the reason I have not been able to get a preceptor for the second half of my orientation is because people think that I come across as a "know it all"!  My initial reaction was WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  I told her right there that I do NOT know it all and I'm the first person to call myself on it.  I've never thought nor pretended that I know it all.  I then asked her if she had talked to the person who was precepting me and she never answered.  Then she proceeds to tell me that she found me a preceptor and told me that this preceptor said "If she pulls that stuff with me, I'm coming straight to your office."  WTF?!?!?!?!?!?! 

I hate that she told me that because now I'm super leery of my new preceptor and am wondering if she will treat me badly.  I'm really scared to start with my new preceptor.

I was already on the verge of tears that day because I was feeling very intimidated and also felt like I knew less when I came in than when I finished up the previous week.  Then to add that on top of me already wanting to cry and the floodgates opened.  I left her office and found myself promply in a bathroom on the floor crying trying to calm myself down.  I was so upset!

I finally calm myself down and get some of the red out of my eyes and make it back to the unit and my preceptor noticed that something wasn't right so then I get all teary again and told her what happened and what was said.  Her and I were both on the understanding that the reason they were having a hard time finding a preceptor for me was because there just wasn't enough experience on the unit.  Then I told my current preceptor about what the educator said about my new preceptor and my current preceptor couldn't believe it.  She precepted her and told me that she was absolutely wonderful.  She tried as hard as she could to ease me and reassure me.

After this, I find out that our educator has a reputation for lacking in social skills and tact.  Ugh!  Too bad I had to learn that one the hard way.

That was all one day.

The next two days went really well.  On my last day this week, I was basically left to my own and I feel like I did really well with my patients.  I got all my cares done on time along with giving all my meds and getting all my labs done on time.  A complete first for me.  I was so excited!  I hope I can keep up with it!  I also went and helped out a couple other people as well.  I felt very successful.

It's wierd how I can have the worst week possible and turn it into the best week so far.  I'm just so glad that my first day didn't ruin my whole week.

On a non work related note, I got a new bike this week.  I actually picked it out last week but wasn't able to pick it up until this week because the bike was going on sale and I wanted to get the sale price so my husband went an picked it up for me so I could ride it on my day off.  Yay!

We rode yesterday and I really enjoyed it.  I started out slow just to get used to the bike and when we finished, I was holding a much better pace than I had on the old bike.  I felt really good about that.  Hopefully we will go out for a ride tomorrow morning.  Can't wait!  I finally feel like I won't be holding the group back.

On Wednesday I tested in Tae Kwon Do.  I went from white belt to yellow belt, green stripe!  I skipped three belts to get to where I left off the first time and then I found out there is going to be another testing coming up "soon" which I'm taking to mean in less than three months which is the normal testing interval so I may move up to green belt before I know it!  I'm so excited!

I can't wait to go to class and not be one of the lowest ranking people there!  We got some brand new people last week, two I think, so there will be some white and yellow belt (no green stripe) below me.  Woot!!

I have to wait a week or two to get my belt so in the meantime, I go to class without my belt which will be odd.  I'm still super excite though!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Followers

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Labels