TurboNurse

I'm a new nurse starting my fist job in a level 3 NICU and am scared out of my mind! I also lead a very active life. I run, do triathlons, cycle, swim, and just recently added Tae Kwon Do to my arsenal of fun things to do.

I had a lot of firsts today.  Three, just to put a number to it.

First, I got to drop my first OG tube on a baby.  It was so much easier than trying to do that on an adult!  I got it on my first try with no problems!  Yay!!!

Second, I got to bag a baby for the first time as well.  It wasn't for a bad reason.  Baby was on CPAP/Hudson's and RT came to change the tape and while they were changing the tape, I was holding the bag to the baby to make sure they were getting enough PEEP and hence, enough oxygen.

The third, and most exciting first was going to a delivery as a NICU nurse.  It was a c-section.  NICU nurses where I work attend all sections so I hit up the flex nurse this morning and asked her if I could go to a deliver with her since she had the pager and we got one at about 4 this afternoon.

It was hard in the sense that I wanted to watch the section since I had never gotten to see one before and at the same time, I wanted to be involved in my half of it.

It all happened really fast but I felt like I had a good handle on what was going on.  Luckily the baby was just fine.  It was HUGE!  A 41 weeker who had had brady's during labor.

I couldn't believe the size of this kid!  I'm so used to looking at anywhere from 28-34 weekers who are a lot more tiny than term babies.  This kid looked like the jolly green giant of babies to me since my view on babies is only slightly skewed.  :)

All in all it was a good day.

I was a complete dingbat in some things thanks to having taken the NCLEX yesterday and still being nervous about it but other than that, it was awesome!

Next week I will take care of a baby on the ventilator.  I say...........bring it!  I'm ready!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Followers

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Labels