TurboNurse

I'm a new nurse starting my fist job in a level 3 NICU and am scared out of my mind! I also lead a very active life. I run, do triathlons, cycle, swim, and just recently added Tae Kwon Do to my arsenal of fun things to do.

That pretty much sums up the day. 

Today was my first day with 3 patients, one of whom we had to transfer back to the NBICU for a blood transfusion.

If you would have asked me at 10 this morning which way was up, down, right, or left, I could not have answered.  I was so lost it was unbelieveable.

What's funny is that I was talking to my preceptor about today and she was surprised that I was feeling the way I was.  She told me that from the outside it seemed that I had it all together.  Boy did I have her fooled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still managed to get the job done in a somewhat timely manner but I was still all over the place.  I literally went from one baby, to the next, to the next, and then back to the start for a med I missed (the ABX were about an hour late....oops!)

I was busy enough I didn't get a chance to go eat lunch until almost 3 in the afternoon.  Luckily I took a late early break and had a decent snack to tide me over but even still!  My tummy was rumbling like mad!

Today was also the day for poo and pee. 

This is funny, at the end of my shift I'm checking on one of my little kiddos because he started to desat on me so I went to stimulate him.  He made a funny face at me and I looked at him and asked him point blank if he was working on a "surprise" for me and as soon as I say it, the kid farts a nice juicy one.  This is also the same kiddo who tried his hardest to pee on me during a set of cares.

Then my other one was having bowel movements that were bigger than her head every half hour it seemed like.  She was another noisy one as well.  There was no guessing about what was going on in her diaper when she was doing her business!

Then there was the one who went back to ICU for a blood transfusion.  It wasn't a bad transfer because we normally could have done it ourselves but we were so swamped we couldn't do it safely so we sent the kiddo to ICU where we knew it would be done safely with the proper supervision.

Also had my first CYFD case today.  What a mess!  This poor kid is already behind the 8 ball and it's not even a month old!  Got phone calls from family about this little one and all I can say is WOW!  Just wow.  These people are certifiable.

So all of this on about 4.5-5 hours of sleep and I'm back at it for the next two days.  Then I am off a day and go back and start in the NBICU.

While I feel ready, I'm still a little (Ok, a lot) scared.  I have so much to learn and I wonder if I will ever be a competent nurse.

Please keep the prayers coming!  I could really use them right now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Followers

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Labels