TurboNurse

I'm a new nurse starting my fist job in a level 3 NICU and am scared out of my mind! I also lead a very active life. I run, do triathlons, cycle, swim, and just recently added Tae Kwon Do to my arsenal of fun things to do.

So the evil test from hell is over.  Now I'm just praying to God that I pass.  I truly don't know.  It stopped at 76 questions and I feel very confident in saying I got the answer right.

I cannot believe all the "pick all that apply" questions that I got!  That and prioritization!  If anything, those questions made up a good 75% of my test.  Every time I got one I would say to myself "Oh man!  Again?!?!?!?!?!  Why me?!?!?!?!"

What happened to the select one answer questions?

I didn't get any picture or sound questions but that's not to say they aren't out there.

When I got out I just wanted to cry and I still do!  I'm not the type of person to get test anxiety.  Either I know it by then or I don't and there's nothing else I can do so I just do it.  This test on the other hand, killed me!

When the first question popped up I freaked.  I didn't know the answer and had to start using the strategies that I was taught.  After that first question, I had to stop and make myself take 6 very deep belly breaths before I even read the second question.

It seemed that about ever 25 questions I had to put my eyes down and take some nice deep cleansing breaths.  It worked.  I was able to focus a little better after that.

Then in the middle of the test, the lady who was proctoring us, started to talk to the secretary person and could be heard through the glass.  Needless to say, the ear plugs I used didn't work so I put on the headphones that were there for us to use to try and drown out the noise.  It was like that for the rest of the test.  I thought my blood pressure was high and my pulse was racing before but that got it going even more!  I was hoping when I took the survey at the end of the test that i would have the opportunity to express my annoyance.  It got so bad at one point that I turned around and looked the proctor straight in the eyes with my annoyed SERIOUSLY SHUT UP look.

Then I hit question 75 and totally held my breath just waiting for the screen to shut off and it didn't.  Freak out moment number-i-forgot-already-because-there-have-been-so-many-already.  Argh!

So I had to put my eyes down and take a lot of deep breaths before I went on.  It took me a couple of minutes before I would even look at the screen to read the question.

Not to mention that I was messing with my ear plugs during the whole test because they fit in one ear but not in the other so I was alternating covering my ears with my hands while reading the question and then wash, rinse, repeat for the next question.

At that point, with the talking and the ear plugs just not cutting it, I started to get antsy and shifting positions in my seat every 5 or so questions.  If I thought I could have gotten away with it, I would have stood up for a few questions.  I didn't want to get kicked out of the test though.

On the upside the testing center was not this dank, dark dungeon that I had expected based off of other's reports.  It was very nice and actually quite comfortable.  The desks were definately big enough so I had space to move and not worry about running into my neighbor.

I also scored probably the most awesome desk possible!  I was in a corner with only one person to my left and a wall to my right and the next desk starting to my back so, other than talking (which is a big pet peeve of mine...i need quite to concentrate), my next biggest pet peeve, which is people moving next to me where I can see them, wasn't an issue.  That will get me more than people talking.  I've gotten to the point where I can drown out other voices (thank you nursing school!!!) but if someone starts moving, I can't help but watch them and get distracted by them getting up or moving around.  The ADD totally kicks in and suddenly I'm much more interested in them than the task at hand. 

That is one of the reasons that I always sat near the front of class as well.  To reduce distractions since I know how I am.

Well I know sleep will probably not happen tonight but I at least need to relax so I'm going to start doing that now and then pray to God that I pass and get some sleep since I'm working the next two days (which is also a blessing.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Followers

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Labels