TurboNurse

I'm a new nurse starting my fist job in a level 3 NICU and am scared out of my mind! I also lead a very active life. I run, do triathlons, cycle, swim, and just recently added Tae Kwon Do to my arsenal of fun things to do.

Wow!  I didn't realize how much I had missed running!

I went out for a short trail run this morning with the Sunday morning ladies group and it was so nice!  This was my first run in almost 4 months.  I admit that it was probably a bit ambitious to go for a foothills trail run as my first run back.  I don't really care though.

It actually went much better than expected.  I thought I would have walked a lot more than I did.  I'd be a liar if I said it were easy.  I really enjoyed it though and that is most important

Then ankles are surprisingly holding up well right now, about an hour after finishing.  That makes me so happy!  I had planned on going to Body Pump at the gym after the run but I am still trying to let my chest muscle heal.  I think it got strained on Wednesday.  Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to lift some weights.

Anyhow, I didn't realize how much I had missed running and it missed me.  After going on this run, I think I figured out why I've been feeling like I'm in a slump lately and running was the perfect pick-me-up happy pill I've been needing!

Now the trick with this will be to find balance.  Not to sound like a chapter out of Eat, Pray, Love (which by the way, wasn't all that great IMHO) but I feel like life is about trying to find that delicate balance again and then keeping it.  The most important part of this journey is going to be to stay true to myself and not get sucked into things.

I'm not sure what my plans will be with running.  I'd like to run 3 days a week.  I still have hopes of doing a 10k soon but think I should probably shoot for a 5k first and see how that goes.  Maybe I should make a goal of running the Turkey Trot this year as long as I'm off work.  That sounds good.

That's been the hard part about goal making recently.  Work.  It's hard for me to commit to much long term (longer than 3 weeks out) because I never know what I will be working.

The good news is that I seem to be settling into a regular schedule now.  I am going to ask for just one more change and that should be it.  Right now I alternate, unless I switch days with someone, Th-Fri-Sat and Tue-Wed-Fri.  I'd like to switch the last part of that to Tue-Thur-Fri.

I feel like I'm slowly getting there.  It's just going to take time.  I'm going to have to learn some patience, which in a lot of cases is not one of my strong points. 

Thanks Brigitte for letting me come out and hang with you guys!! Can't wait to do it again!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Followers

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Labels