TurboNurse

I'm a new nurse starting my fist job in a level 3 NICU and am scared out of my mind! I also lead a very active life. I run, do triathlons, cycle, swim, and just recently added Tae Kwon Do to my arsenal of fun things to do.

When you feel like there is nothing left, pray, just pray.

That was all I could do today.

Unfortunately as a nurse you get caught up in more social stuff than any one normal person should be exposed to in a lifetime.  Today was one of those days.

Yes my job is there to take care of the baby but I also need to know, to some extent, about what is going on.  For example, it's important for us to know if a baby is a CYFD case or not.

This baby was supposed to get transfered somewhere else.  The mother and grandmother were understandably upset.  Unfortunately they were upset at us when they should have been taking it out on the court system who decided what was going to happen.  Or better yet, maybe they need to be taking a look at themselves and asking themselves where they went wrong and what they can do to fix it from this point forward.

Of course there were threats thrown out.  It was just rediculous.  I don't understand this stuff.

Anyhow, someone along the way lost their spine and the baby did not get transfered to where the court order said to send it.

Some people think it's so great to "work with babies".  I think they get the idea that it's all about feeding, burping, and cuddling.  It's the exact opposite of that.

There is a good side to nursing but there is also the ugly side to nursing.  These last two days have been all about the ugly side of things.

Part of nursing is being involved in the family unit, no matter if you want to get involved or not.  This means that you get stuck, yes stuck, in the middle of the good, the bad, the ugly, and the absolutely apalling.  There is just no way of getting around it.

I try as hard as I can to be neutral.  I call it being Switzerland.  I get to know what I need to know and I refuse to go digging beyond that.

I suggest everyone out there take this approach.  The more you know, the deeper it gets and before you know it, you're caught up in the whole thing and you have now dug yourself a hole so deep that you can't climb out.  Luckily I have learned this lesson by watching others.  Sometimes you can get in so deep that it may put your license on the line.

I'm sorry but I worked HARD for my license and I continue to work extremely hard to keep it.  You may think that once you get your license it's easy sailing but it isn't.  The work is just begining when you get your license. 

Being a nurse is about taking care of your patients but the other dirty side of nursing is about protecting what you have worked so hard for, your license.  Without your license, you aren't a nurse and won't be able to practice as such.  Nothing is worth putting that at risk.  Let me repeat that, NOTHING is worth putting your license on the line.  Especially when it comes to social issues.

Know only what you NEED to know and be Switzerland about the rest.

I also suggest NOT giving out your last name.  Lucky for me, my legal name is not on my badge but still.  I don't want to give ANY family ANY way to find me and either find where I live and/or try to name me in a lawsuit.

To end this all, I have to say that there is no way I would have survived these past two days if it weren't for me knowing that I had Christ by my side to lean on and to get strength and courage from.

I don't remember the last time I have prayed as hard as I did these past two days.  I am so THANKFUL to have accepted Christ and to have Him in my life.

I don't know what I would have done without Him.  He is my rock.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Followers

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Labels