TurboNurse

I'm a new nurse starting my fist job in a level 3 NICU and am scared out of my mind! I also lead a very active life. I run, do triathlons, cycle, swim, and just recently added Tae Kwon Do to my arsenal of fun things to do.

Ouch!  I sparred so hard on Monday night that I am still sore today!!!!  I didn't think I went at it that hard. 

What I remember is sparring this new guy in our class that is a boxer.  Apparently he thinks Tae Kwon Do still = boxing and treated it as such.  I wasn't ready for that and ended up getting by butt handed to me.  I actually got hit hard enough in the face that I got mad.  That hasn't happened to me before that.  It was an odd feeling.  I don't remember if I landed any good kicks on him or not but I was using my kicks every time he tried to get in and rush me.  I also remember that if he was able to get in, I was using my kicks to get him away.  That being said, he's one heck of a boxer.  I could learn some stuff from him.

My next go-round went better.  I think I was still feeling the rush from being mad but this time I was more controlled.  What I remember from this one is that it just went well all around.  We got to chose our partners and the person I chose is a pretty equal match for me which is why I chose him.  I finally landed a good back kick and was able to follow through with it.  I was so happy about that.  I've been working on that for quite some time.

One of the things they teach us is to counter a side kick with a back kick.  I still have to think about it when someone throws a side at me but I'm finding I'm getting more and more comfortable with my counters.

I don't know why but I find I fight better using counters than attacking first.  I like to see what the other person is going to throw at me so then I know how to react and I know their speed and how to read them.  I fought like that my first few go-rounds in TKD as well and was quite successful with it.  Every once in a while I'll take the offensive side if the person I'm sparring isn't doing much and then when they start throwing stuff at me, I change my game.

That being said, things are going well.  Scott and I are getting ready to head to Tucson next weekend to ride the tour.  I'm quite nervous about it.  It's not so much the distance, 67 miles, it's just the fact that I have never ridden in such a large crowd.  I sure hope I don't wreck!!!!!

I haven't been on the bike in over a week.  My hamstring was bothering me after working last week so I took Saturday and Sunday off and it helped.  I'm feeling 100% better now and have had zero pain, even with TKD on Monday night.  I'm so happy.

I'm going to look into doing one of the turkey races on Thanksgiving this year.  I'm very excited about that.  I haven't run a 5k in at least two years.  It should be fun.

I am off on Thanksgiving this year.  I still don't know what we are going to do.  I'm hoping to get together with friends again.  I cooked a turkey last year and have no plans of cooking one this year. 

I'm a little sad though.  I haven't seen these friends in a while but I know it's a little hard right now since I've been training for Tucson and they were training for a different race.  I still hope that they come down with us though.  It would really suck being the only girl there.

Yesterday I was home with a headache for most of the day and what do I do?  Research for NP (nurse practitioner) school and specialty.  I basically ended up giving myself an even bigger headache.

It's so hard to decide what to do.  I LOVE working where I work.  The patient population is really awesome.  I would go NNP but the thing holding me back from that is that the practitioners rotate days and nights.  I'm not sure how often they rotate between the two but either way, it doesn't sound healthy.  My husband suggested that I start there if that is where my heart is in a few years and then I can always go back for a post-masters certificate in FNP (family).

I don't know.  I'm going to let everything sit and simmer for a while before I start bending in any one direction.

One thing that hasn't changed over the years is I still want to do cardiology.

The quest for a baby continues as well.  It's been since July. 

I really really want a dog.  I think that would make a great Christmas present.

I'm getting random now.  it's time to go.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Followers

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Labels