TurboNurse

I'm a new nurse starting my fist job in a level 3 NICU and am scared out of my mind! I also lead a very active life. I run, do triathlons, cycle, swim, and just recently added Tae Kwon Do to my arsenal of fun things to do.

Well I survived test number one. Barely. Really I squeaked by with a passing grade but it wasn't good at all. I have never done so bad on a test and it's embarassing. This is not normal for me. Now I just need to go to the review to see where I messed things up at. I really have no clue what I did wrong (besides answer the questions worng) so it should be interesting.

I studied my rear off for this test and I feel I had a really good grasp on the concepts and the signs and symptoms of the abnormalities that we had to know. Oh well.

We found out where we are going for clinical today. I'm going to one of the farthest sites from my house. I have a site that is within walking distance from my house and they send me across town to.....get this...................

ANOTHER SKILLED FACILITY!!!!!!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY!!! I'm so aggravated with that. Next semester I'm going to tell them that I spent 2 semesters in a skilled facility and I'm not doing it again. I feel like I miss out on so much here because these patients are stable and recovering. They get OT, PT, and ST and that's about it (at least that's how it was at the last place I was at). Ugh!

Our instructor seems pretty alright though. She's going to see if we can get out of there and see different parts because she realizes the problem with this as well. I really hope it works out because she wants to put us with different specialties such as wound care and case management. She even talked about trying to get us to the ICU and I asked if the ER would be a possibility as well. So overall there is opportunity here and I can make the most of what I've been delt. I'm thinking it's a good thing that I work in critical care now so at least I get that experience that I can carry over to school.

Tomorrow we have our lab testing. I'm not too stressed about it but I'm going to review tonight before I go to bed. There are a few new things that we have to know like different injection sites for IM's and syringe and needle sizes. I was worried at first but it's all coming together now. I also get out early tomorrow. 0930!!!! Yeah! That leaves me a lot of time to study since I won't be doing that Saturday. :)

Saturday is the 50 mile bike ride that I've been working toward. It's not a race (not timed) so we're just going to go out there and have fun with it and whatever we ride it in, we ride it in. I'm looking forward to the support/food. Yum! If things go on this ride like they did on the 44 mile ride I will be able to eat a horse and then some after we're finished. That's what's nice about this. Yes I'm dieting to lose weight but when things like this come up, I can have a little wiggle room (ok....a lot) and not feel guilty about it. Of course I don't go overboard but if I want a fried something or another, I'll go for it. I'm really looking forward to margaritas and maybe some Sadie's after. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............I love Sadie's!! It's my favorite place to eat! Chicken tacos with double papas no frijoles!

Now I did it. I'm salivating on my hands. Ha!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Followers

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Labels