TurboNurse

I'm a new nurse starting my fist job in a level 3 NICU and am scared out of my mind! I also lead a very active life. I run, do triathlons, cycle, swim, and just recently added Tae Kwon Do to my arsenal of fun things to do.

Yep! I survived one more week of relearning how to live with a new lifestyle.

My biggest challenge this past week was when I went out with a few people after school on Friday.

To start off the day, someone brought in a lot of junk food for us to eat so I indulged in some chips and queso (sp?) and a powdered donut. The donut actually didn't taste so good so next time it comes up, I'll know I can pass on that and not feel like I'm missing anything. The food was brought in because we were watching some movies for part of our psych rotation in school.

After class we went to the bar for some drinks. I got my usual Corona Light with a lime. I always order light beer so that when I drink it, and I only had one, I don't feel like I'm ruining the whole day.

The three of us ordered appetizers to share for lunch since it was that time. We ordered this combination type appetizer that ended up being enough to feed like 6 people or so and it was all fried food. Fried okra, mushrooms (yum!), zuccini (yum), and cheese sticks. Suffice to say it was basically a heart attack on a plate. I figured I could have some though since I'd done pretty well throughout the week so I did. I tried to eat more of the mushrooms and zuccini and had 2 of the cheese sticks. I was so full from lunch that when I got home I had a super light dinner.

That's the thing with all of this is that every time I encounter something like this, I try to learn from it. What I learned this week is that I can pass on the storebought donuts. They did nothing for me other than taste processed.

Every week I'm learning how to balance things and that is another principle that I put into play on Friday.

Another valuable thing I learned is to pack my food and bring it with me! I was saved by packing my food on Thursday. I had planned on eating my lunch at school but we got out early enough that it didn't happen so I went and took care of some things that needed to be done. While taking care of what I needed to do, it was so tempting to stop in the cafeteria and pick something quick up. But I kept reminding myself that I took time this morning to pack some healthy food and that I really should eat that and I did! I totally passed on the cafeteria and I'M SO PROUD OF MYSELF FOR THAT!!!!!!!!!!

Last night was kind of a challenge for me too but I'm so happy at how well I did! It was another potluck type of situation with some unhealthy food avaialble. Luckily it was with the group that I coach and we're all generally good about brining healthy stuff to eat for main/side dishes so what I did was I filled half of my plate with salad and just a little bit of dressing and then filled the other half of my plate with a portion of protein and then left a little space for some not-so-good but good for the soul food. I know it wasn't perfect but I'm getting better at navigating these types of things which is one of my biggest pitfalls.

So, lessons learned this week: still working on balancing meals (getting better at it), I can pass on the store bought donuts and not miss a thing other than guilt and who wants that and, the most valuable lesson I learned this week was that always having healthy food around and ready to go makes it so much easier to resist temptations such as convenience foods/unhealthy stuff.

Tuesday is the weigh in. We'll see how it goes. I'm a little nervous because of how Friday went.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Followers

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Labels