TurboNurse

I'm a new nurse starting my fist job in a level 3 NICU and am scared out of my mind! I also lead a very active life. I run, do triathlons, cycle, swim, and just recently added Tae Kwon Do to my arsenal of fun things to do.

I'm feeling a little nervous about stepping on the scale at my meeting tomorrow.  I really hope I have lost.  I've been tracking fairly well.  The only thing I haven't tracked was last nights meal out at Rudy's.  I had 10 points left to use and I ordered a quarte pound of turkey and a baked potato.  Well within my 10 points.  For a bedtime snack last night I had a can of drained and rinsed mandarin oranges, 0 points and super yummy.

I've been weighing myself throughout the week and have seen about a half pound loss on my scale at home.  I went to weigh myself this morning and forgot to do it before I took my morning pills with a huge glass of water.  Doh!  I won't weigh again until my meeting at noon.

I feel I've done a pretty good job with tracking everything I put into my mouth, no matter how healthy or unhealthy it is.  I've also reminded myself to have a treat every now and then.

My "big" meal out this week was at Dion's.  I ordered a turkey sub on wheat.  I wasn't super hungry going in so it was really easy to only eat half of it (I ordered the 6") and about half of the chips that came with it.  I'm very proud of myself for that.  It would have been really easy to eat the whole thing and then some.

That's been the biggest challenge for me so far.  Not letting myself get too hungry.  Last week I was terrible at it.  This week has been much much better.  Every once in a while I will feel those "overhungry pangs" but I've really been trying to keep on top of it.  It makes it easier to make healthier choices and if I know I shouldn't eat all of something, it makes it easier to stick to that plan.

I called the orthodontist this morning to make my second appointment to get braces put on.  I thought they were going to put them on at the appointment but it doesn't sound like it.  At least I have the ball rolling on it.  They called this a records appointment.  I know they are going to take molds of my mouth.

As nervous as I am about it, I really hope that they put the braces on that same day as well.  I can't believe I'm this nervous!  I really wonder how it's going to change the way I look with them on and how it's going to feel.  I'm not worried about the pain at all.  Nothing a little Tylenol can't help.  That and some cold food or ice water to numb it (probably ice water for me).

Our new furniture should be here today.  It will be nice to be rid of our old furniture.  Especially since the couch is broken.

TKD is going alright.  We've been doing a lot of sparring lately.  A lot.  I'm ready for a break.  Just one week off would be nice and then we can get back to it.  Last Wednesday I had a terrible day.  I just couldn't think straight and wasn't throwing and landing things like I have been doing.  I'm pretty sure it's a mental thing. 

Sparring, for me, is mentally taxing because it's comparable to a game of chess.  It's a game of strategy so you are constantly watching cues from your opponent and looking for the right time to attack.  When it's right, you just know it and go for it.  I got some good rushes in but I wasn't happy with what I did otherwise.  I really hope tonight goes better.  I have some frustration I need to get out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Followers

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Labels