TurboNurse

I'm a new nurse starting my fist job in a level 3 NICU and am scared out of my mind! I also lead a very active life. I run, do triathlons, cycle, swim, and just recently added Tae Kwon Do to my arsenal of fun things to do.

It's turned out pretty well. I started at 173.2 and am down to 172.6 so I lost 0.6 pounds this week which seems realistic for me to keep up. Would have liked to lose a pound but yesterday was a gift exchange where I let it go a little and ate several small helpings of deserts and some really yummy appetizers. Tried to balance it with fruit and beer. Yes I said beer. Yum!

I think I've finally found out where my calorie range should be. Before, I was trying to keep my calories too low and I felt low on energy and my mood changed but now that I have a better grasp on my range, I feel normal, if not really good when I eat in that range. I added 300 calories-ish per day. It's amazing what that little amount can do for you.

So this was my first week out of the boot as well. I'm not allowed to run until December 11. Doc said to just walk for 10 days to build up my muscles which didn't have to work while I was in the boot.

I've been walking quite a bit. I walked 4 miles yesterday with the group and have walked several other times during the week.

The only part that is sore are those muscles that I have to build back up again so if I have a particularly busy day on my feet, I try to rest the next day until the soreness goes away and then I go for a nice long walk again adding on a few minutes each time to get my muscles to where I need them to be to be able to run.

I talked to the doc about the C25k plan and he thinks it's a good way to get back and so do I.

When I get back to it, I may start somewhere in the middle of the plan and work up from there but we'll see. That first day is really going to be an experiment and I'm not sure what my body will do.

I know I've lost fitness while I was out but I don't know exactly how much.

The good news is that with all the years behind me of working out and stuff, it shouldn't take me too long to build myself back up. I'm guessing a couple of months before I get to my regular long run routine.

We'll see.

Merry Christmas all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Followers

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Labels