TurboNurse

I'm a new nurse starting my fist job in a level 3 NICU and am scared out of my mind! I also lead a very active life. I run, do triathlons, cycle, swim, and just recently added Tae Kwon Do to my arsenal of fun things to do.

Can I run now? Please? Pretty pretty please?

It got me bad yesterday. I think I'm pretty much over the muscle soreness from not using my left ankle for a month. I'm feeling very high in energy and SO READY TO RUN!!! It's killing me! Pretty soon I'm going to start counting down the hours until Friday when I can run again.

Yesterday I had to take two tests at school, got registered for classes next semester, bought my parking pass, got my clearance note from the doc for work, and then went to the gym.

It was so hard to not crank up the speed on the treadmill yesterday but I resisted. I traded in increased speed for killer hills! I did the program on the treadmill called cross country 1 which went from a 0% incline up to a 9% incline. I actually got my heart rate up in the low 180's when I was at the 9% incline just walking! It was a great tough workout that I wouldn't mind doing again. I did that for 40 minutes and then did my weight workout which lasted another 35-40 minutes.

While I was at the gym, I got my body fat percentage tested and it came out to 28% which puts me in the overweight category. I'm not too sure that it was accurate because when the guy tested me, he didn't test any part of my lower body at all and you can't possibly get an overall body fat percentage without checking all over. He checked my arms front and back, my upper back, and my hip and that was all.

If anything, I figure that I can use this just as a gauge. I'm planning on having it done again in a month to see where I am. Even though it probably isn't accurate, I can still use it.

I did good things diet wise this week too! My aunt is in town, she came in Sunday and we met for dinner at Chili's. Since I knew that was where we were going to go, I hopped online to check the nutrition values of the meals and planned out my whole meal and pretty much stuck to it! I got the margarita grilled chicken but instead of the rice and beans, I substituted the seasonal veggies which saved me a lot of calories, enough that I could have a margarita and still stay within my calorie budget!

Every day this gets easier and easier. I'm so glad that I've made the changes that I have. Maybe I will reach my goal weight before having a kid. That's the whole point of all of this. I figure if I lose the weight before, I have a better chance of having a healthy baby and the weight should come off a little easier since I will have a system down already.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Followers

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Labels