TurboNurse

I'm a new nurse starting my fist job in a level 3 NICU and am scared out of my mind! I also lead a very active life. I run, do triathlons, cycle, swim, and just recently added Tae Kwon Do to my arsenal of fun things to do.

I will survive. No matter how many times I try I know I'll stay alive!

I was released to go back to work as of Thursday and unexpectedly put myself on the schedule for Friday. Like I said, unexpectedly. It was open and I really wanted to go back after being off for 2 months (OK, I worked two short shifts during this time but I don't really count them).

As soon as I got my schedule done, I headed straight to the grocery store to get some shopping for some easy work friendly and healthy foods. I will be making another trip soon to stock up even more but this was a scramble so I went for what I knew worked.

I packed my food for the day the night before and even entered it into my nutrition tracker on www.sparkpeople.com to give myself some accountability (basically to make me stay on track).

I was 99% successful in sticking with my diet and I'm so proud of myself! Work is where I seemed to really fall off the wagon because so many unhealthy/un-nutritious foods are freely available (not to mention free).

For example, yesterday when I came in to the unit they assigned me to, there was a butload of cake out on the table where we gave report. I managed to dodge that bullet almost completely. I can't really deprive myself so what I did was took a knife and cut a bite sized piece out so I could have just a little and that was it. I managed to stop at that.

I know down the road when the stress gets worse I'm really going to have to pull on my willpower but because my stress level was 0, I was able to keep in contril of stuff like that.

I did go over on my daily calorie alottment but I'm telling myself that I'm OK with that because I work 12.5 hour shifts and am on my feet for at least 11 of that doing patient care which I call my weight lifting for the day although I was on a general medical floor yesterday so it wasn't as bad as usual so I'm planning on hitting the gym today to do some weights.

So due to going back to work yesterday, I obviously didn't run so I am going to go out later this morning after it warms up a bit to do my first run! I'm so excited! I have everything all planned out, all I have to do is put on my clothes and go. Yay!!!!!! I'm getting butterflies in my tummy just thinking about it!

School is over too which is another reason I say that I'm a surviver!

I have officially survived my level 3 (3rd semester) nursing class and came out with a grade I totally didn't expect! I GOT A 90%!!!!!!!!!!!! In nursing school it's not an A, a 91 is an A, but I'm so freaking excited!

I was worried about this semester because I came into it so burnt out that I thought I was going to let my grade slip but I managed to keep it up! Woot!

With this grade, it should keep me in the top three in my class which is where I've been since the start of all of this back in January. I'd like to graduate top of my class, that would be really awesome for when I go for my masters, but I'll take the top 3 out of 80! That's still pretty darn good!

I'm so happy this semester is over. I took my tests all early so I'll get a full 5 week break. I feel like I can finally breathe for the first time since the first of September when I started.

For the break I'm planning on having a lot of fun by not studying and hanging out with my friends more.

Of course it can't all be fun and games so I'm going to be working 2 days a week to help make up for what I wasn't able to work previously.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Followers

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Labels