TurboNurse

I'm a new nurse starting my fist job in a level 3 NICU and am scared out of my mind! I also lead a very active life. I run, do triathlons, cycle, swim, and just recently added Tae Kwon Do to my arsenal of fun things to do.

I'm starting to come to the realization that I can't do it all and it sucks.

I realized this week that our next test is coming up next week already and I don't feel ready for it. So much of my time is devoted to school that I don't have the time available that I used to for things like running.

So now I'm contemplating NOT doing a marathon this year and instead just doing a half. The reason is that the training takes half the time and the recovery is a lot shorter and easier than the marathon. I won't be as tired from the training so I can concentrate on school still and not let it slip by. It will also keep me active.

Another reason for it is to try for a half marathon PR. I did fairly well in San Antonio when I PR'd in that marathon and I'd be disappointed if I didn't PR again this year so maybe it would be wise to work on a PR in my HM instead. It's very reasonable and attainable with school.

This way I can go out with a double bang. A marathon and half marathon PR.

I say this because next year we will probably start having kids and I know I won't be able to be as active as before due to pregnancy. I'll still stay active and be out there with the group but it will be a slower me with a belly. It should be fun actually.

I'm scared and excited all at the same time because I will be graduated from nursing school AND starting a family. Two things I've waited a long time for. I'm really looking forward to a family. Ever since I met my husband, I've seen him as a wonderful, caring, and loving dad. That really means a lot to me since I didn't get the chance to grow up with my dad who has the same characteristics in parenting as my husband. I want my children to have both parents in their lives.

So now I have a lot of thinking to do about this.

It's really hard to realize that you have to give up something that you love so much and keeps you healthy. I'm thinking maybe I'll focus on a triathalon as well because that will round out my fitness.

You see, my ultimate goal is to get into the best possible shape before I have kids so that I can recover fast and get back to being the active person that I am. I also want to be healthy so I will have the energy to keep up with the kids. That's a HUGE concern for me since I'm having kids a little later (I'll be 30) in life when things may start to slow down. I'm going to do my best to be involved and active with my kids.

I want to be the best mom I possibly can and I won't be able to do that if I don't take care of myself. When I take care of myself, I will be taking care of my whole family because I will be happier and have more energy to do what I need to do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Followers

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Labels