TurboNurse

I'm a new nurse starting my fist job in a level 3 NICU and am scared out of my mind! I also lead a very active life. I run, do triathlons, cycle, swim, and just recently added Tae Kwon Do to my arsenal of fun things to do.

Wohoo it's Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have three days in which I don't have to go to school!!!

Today actually went really well considering my lack of sleep the last few nights. We did care plans today. Real care plans with a head to toe assessment. I enjoyed it so much. I'm begining to feel more and more like a real nurse. I also understand more why nurses are always so stressed out. There really is a lot to do.

Granted, when we are in the real world we are not going to be doing the full care plans that we are doing in school but we still have to think through all of this in our heads and it is a lot of information to process.

It amazes me how quickly the nurses I work with can assess someone and they do it well. Critical care is so awesome. All of their skills are so fine tuned and they can sense things before they happen. They're wonderful nurses and I've learned so much from them that I've now been able to utilize at school.

I'm really enjoying school right now. Working on these care plans, at least at this point, requires a lot of reading and research. I know I will learn so much by doing this and I'm so excited about that. This is what nursing school is all about for me.

Yes we have the down and dirty hard skill such as helping with ADL's, dropping NG's, doing Foleys, administering meds, doing IV's but to me, the soft stuff is where nursing really happens and this is what excites me the most.

I'm also now understanding why school has gone the way it has so far. It's all coming together for me. Now I'm wanting to do this work so I can master what it is I need to know.

Now that we are doing head to toe assessments, the other parts that we got really click and seem to come quite naturally to me. I was so worried about doing each individual part but when put all together, I feel confident.

Next week I'm hoping to get checked off on wound care and all of my assessments.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Followers

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Labels