TurboNurse

I'm a new nurse starting my fist job in a level 3 NICU and am scared out of my mind! I also lead a very active life. I run, do triathlons, cycle, swim, and just recently added Tae Kwon Do to my arsenal of fun things to do.

So a lot of good things happened today. 

I called the BON yesterday to ask what the holdup was on getting my GN permit and lo and behold, it shows up today!  Yay!!!!  I guess I just had to bug them about it a little.

Another super duper good thing is that work finally got me in the system right and they caught it in time so that I will have my missing pay in my account tomorrow!  Wohoo!!!

Two very big things taken care of and I am stressing a lot less about.

Then comes the trip. 

The whole point of the trip was to go see my sister and to get out of town for some much needed R&R.  Well, things didn't work out how I'd hoped (I wanted to just go see my sister and that was it but flights were prohibitively expensive to get to where she lives).  So now I am flying into Chicago, which is great.  I totally HEART the Windy City but now that I'm going there, it seems that everyone wants a piece of me and I'm only one person and can't please everybody.

What was once supposed to be a nice trip to see family now has too many hands involved (partly because I have a hard time saying no, although I did say no to a few ideas that my mom came up with)

I always wonder why I do this to myself.  I do have to admit that it has gotten better but it's so hard when I go home to see family because they are so spread out about northern Illinois and Iowa that I can't possibly spend the time with everyone that they would like me to and that I would like to do as well.

I think next time I want to see family I will tell them that I will be at "X" and if they want to see me, they can come along.  AND I WILL MEAN IT!!!!!!! *insert sarcasm and a stubborn foot stomp*

Ok, now that's off my chest I can go back to work stuff.  I'm super excited to have only one more day of classroom stuff.  Tomorrow morning is free to us to work on our annual competencies and then in the afternoon we have a lecture on..............ta-da!................stress management!  This could not have happened at a better time.

I'm now in disbelief at how fast these past two and a half weeks have gone by.  I can't believe they are going to release me to the floor now!  I know I'm going to be eased into the process but this is it folks!  In 12 very very short weeks, I will be out and practicing nursing on my own and I'm so scared!!!!

My mantra for these next 3 months is probably going to go something like..........."I don't know crap but I know I will rock this job" or some variation thereof.  I imagine at first it's going to be more of the "I don't know crap why did I even go to school" variety and over the weeks I'm hoping to transition into "I KNOW  I can rock this job".

Wish me luck!  I hit the floor next Thursday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Followers

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Labels