TurboNurse

I'm a new nurse starting my fist job in a level 3 NICU and am scared out of my mind! I also lead a very active life. I run, do triathlons, cycle, swim, and just recently added Tae Kwon Do to my arsenal of fun things to do.

So this is what I did today on a much needed day off for myself. 

We woke up at 4am.  There should be some sort of law about waking up so early that Starbucks isn't even open yet.  After blindly stumbling around the house, we made it to our friends house to make the drive with them.  We met two more friends so we had a small caravan making our way up to Santa Fe at 0500.  My husband drove up and quite honestly, I don't remember much of it other than it seemed that the drive went really fast.

There is something to be said about getting out of town, even if it is only for a day.  There is nothing like a change of scenery to refresh the soul.

It was pretty cold for New Mexico when we got there, just before the sun rose.  All 8 of us were standing around in jackets and pants over our biking clothes.  I was in flip flops and thought that my toes were going to freeze off.

We ate the pancake breakfast that they offered.  I'm not quite sure of the flavor of the pancakes due to the immense amount of syrup that I tend to use but I do know they had pinon nuts in them.  They also served turkey sausage.  It was disgusting.  Normally I love that but this was the most horrid stuff ever so I ate some regular sausage which is extremely rare for me but I did it knowing that I was doing a bike ride in a few hours.

I don't really suggest eating something as fatty as pork sausage before any sort of exercise.  About 15 miles in, I burped some of it up.  Let's just say I have no desire to eat the stuff ever again. 

The ride itself was OK.  Nothing special about it made me want to come back and do it again next year.

I ended up just doing the supposed 25 mile ride since I have not been on the bike at all since breaking my elbow.  Today was the first day I was released from the doctor to ride.  Yay!

The major thing I didn't like about the ride is that about 7-8 miles of the ride (14-16 miles total on the out and back course) was ridden ON interstate 25 where the speed limit is 75mph and there were NO SIGNS up warning people on the interstate that there was a bike race going on so these people are absolutely blowing by us.  It was a little scary.  I kept thinking about someone being nasty and throwing their trash at us.  At those speeds, that could be devastating.  At least the interstate has a HUGE shoulder right there to ride on.

Only two of us did the 25 (which was actually 20 miles) and 5 did the 50 mile route (2 did the loop and 3 did the out and back version).  After we all finished up we headed over to the Second Street Brewery for some beer and food.  It was so-so.  I have no desire to go back there again but I'm glad that I at least tried it

On our way out of town we stopped at the outlets.  I didn't find anything to buy, nothing struck me, but my husband found a few things and a friend got a real nice looking purse at the Coach outlet.

All I have to say is that I love stress release and exercise is my favorite way of getting some stress off.  I feel so much better now.  Much less anxious about the job and all the changes around that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Followers

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Labels