TurboNurse

I'm a new nurse starting my fist job in a level 3 NICU and am scared out of my mind! I also lead a very active life. I run, do triathlons, cycle, swim, and just recently added Tae Kwon Do to my arsenal of fun things to do.

I had this totally awesome blog done and for some reason, the site didn't post it! Grrrrr.....

As the title says, I'm a NICU nurse now!!

I got the job offer this morning soon after I woke up! I start on Thursday. Two and a half weeks are going to be in the classroom and then I will hit the floor with my preceptor for my orientation. Wow! My orientation will be up to 16 weeks with a mix of being on the floor and doing specific neonatal classes.

I actually start off with the nurse residency people before I go to the floor. This is where I will be doing my NCLEX prep.

I never in my life thought I would end up in the NICU. Adult ICU wouldn't have surprised me because that is where a lot of my tech experience is.

I guess the signs were there all along though.

I ran into one person before I got accepted into nursing school (was working on pre-reqs) and was trying to recruit me into the NICU. She made it sound really good and got my interest but then we parted ways.

At about the same time I met that person, I met another guy in my NAHA class that wanted to do NICU and nothing but NICU. He graduated some time before I did and got into NICU at another hosptial. Several months ago, I find this person on facebook and friend him.

One of the first people I ever met in nursing school was a tech in the NICU and had nothing but good to say about it.

Even after all of these signs and messages from God, I denyed that I would make a good NICU nurse. I always said that peds scared the crap out of me and I couldn't see myself doing this.

Then comes level 4 nursing (my last semester) where we do our peds rotation and guess what? I FELL IN LOVE with peds!!! It was the one and only rotation that I can honestly say that about! I LOVE working with the little bitties and the kiddos! I wish we had more time to do that in school. I actually loved it so much that I wanted to request my preceptorship for school to be with the kids but I got scared and backed out. Instead I went to the medical cardiac ICU because that was my comfort. I don't regret my decision though.

I'm just amazed!

I still have not set foot inside a NICU but I did a lot of research to prepare for the job. During my research, I came across a lot of people saying that they have been in the NICU for years and couldn't imagine doing anything else! I hear about burnout all the time and even went through it myself in the adult settings but not so much with peds and neonates.

I feel truly blessed to have this opportunity. I feel like I'm just being set up to reach my dreams/goals.

The NICU is mostly run by nurse practitioners and that is my end goal. So now I will look into going to school for my NNP. I can also do transport which fulfills my dream of being a flight nurse!!!! Plus several other opportunities that are available.

I feel like the sky is the limit and I'm so glad that I answered the door when God knocked!

When HR called the first time asking me if I want my resume sent on to the NICU manager, I immediately said yes. Not because I really wanted NICU but because I wanted a job. In the days following, I did a lot of praying and talking with God asking Him if this is what I am ment to do.

The answer was always a resounding Yes!! You are doing what you are ment to do!!

Whew!!!

I also got the greatest compliment I could ever get from a clinical instructor. She told me I "have the makings of a most excellent nurse."!!!! Can you believe it?!?!?!? I about cried when I saw that!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Followers

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Labels