TurboNurse

I'm a new nurse starting my fist job in a level 3 NICU and am scared out of my mind! I also lead a very active life. I run, do triathlons, cycle, swim, and just recently added Tae Kwon Do to my arsenal of fun things to do.

It's sort of starting to all sink in today that I am going to be a nurse.  I went and talked to the UBE for our unit to get some things straightened out and got to get a peek of the schedule.  It's really cool to see my name on there with the nurses.

It's also sinking in that I will be going to nights soon.  I'm a little nervous about this just because I've never done it before but at the same time it may work out quite well because the weather is going to be perfect to run after work, which I can do since there are several great running routes close by, and the gym is going to be fairly empty at 8am because most people will be comuting to work while I'm at the end of my day.

So far there is really nothing new to report.  I had my benefits orientation today.  They are quite expensive.  My benefits are free but if I want to add my husband on my health insurance, it's almost $500 a month!!!!!! 

Today was a skills day and I felt like I was back in school.  Really this whole thing has felt like school.  It's a mix between being in the classroom and doing hands on skills.  The difference is I'm a nurse now and I'm getting paid for this!

The skills are hard for me to get into though because they are geared toward adults and adult care which I'm not going to do.  I had a very hard time paying attention because of that.

It looks like I'm going to have 5 days off between finishing my classroom time and starting on the unit.  I really hope we can plan for our Vegas vacation in that time.

It seems that I have already completed the majority of my competencies so I'm very happy about that.  I got a TON of them to do as an extern at the begining of the year that I completed back in February.

I turned my paperwork into the BON yesterday and also registered with PearsonVUE and gave them my left leg to test.  It's pretty expensive to take the NCLEX.   Now I'm waiting on my ATT and as soon as I get that, I'm going to sign up and take my test.

Until next time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About this blog

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Followers

About Me

My photo
I graduated nursing school in early May 2010. I am also very involved in ITF Taekwon-Do, cycling, triathlons, and just living an active life

Labels